How Can Essential Oils Improve Athletic Performance?
Watch the following video and learn how you can achieve peak performance with dōTERRA® Essential Oils.
The following tips are from athletes who use natural aromatic compounds for pre and post events. Check out these natural solutions for stability and endurance.
- Runners have had luck with rubbing down large muscles with Peppermint, Marjoram and/or Deep Blue® before races.
- An Aromatouch® treatment before and/or after a meet can be helpful for large muscles. Include legs in the Aromatouch treatment.
- Peppermint oil and Deep Blue oil blend can be helpful before and after physical exertion. Use Peppermint oil on large muscles before long runs. Use AromaTouch or Deep Blue after.
- Place 4 drops of lemon essential oil in 16 ounces of water and drink. Apply lemongrass essential oil to calves. Drink lots of water and rest.
- For leg cramps use 3-4 drops of Deep Blue and 1-2 drops of Helichrysum directly on the affected part of the calf. Also try Aromatouch and Deep Blue, or Lemongrass essential oils.*
- To relieve pressure and tension use AromaTouch blend on your back and shoulders.
- For runners: reduce joint impact by using Deep Blue then Peppermint essential oils. Also try Helichrysum and Frankincense essential oils.*
- For sore muscles after a run use Deep Blue and Aromatouch or White Fir. Also try Wintergreen and Frankincense essential oils or use together.
- Some runners like to use Peppermint essential oil to improve breathing. Apply 4-5 drops to the chest to open airways and increase oxygen flow.* Do this 5 minutes before exercise or event.
- Some athletes use Balance Essential oil for improved clarity and focus.
USES OF BALANCE ESSENTIAL OIL BLEND:
Physical soreness after exercise – mix Balance 4 drops, Basil 3 drops, White Fir 2 drops, Lavender 3 drops and apply for quick relief. Prior to exertion apply Balance to the low back and back of neck so that Energy flow is clear and focused on the sport – for swimming apply 15 minutes prior to jumping into the water to be effective.*
USES OF BASIL:
Before you exercise for muscle tone: Basil 4 drops, Cypress 3 drops, Rosemary 3 drops, Lavender 3 drops, coconut oil 8 drops; combine in bottle, gently shake and apply to muscles prior to exercise to enhance muscle tone and minimize soreness.*
USES OF ON GUARD® BLEND:
On Guard is often used by athletes for its many benefits. Use On Guard to cleanse gym/workout equipment. Just add On Guard to spray bottle and spray down equipment.
USES OF PEPPERMINT:
Energy and Mood Enhancement: Inhale Peppermint oil before and during a workout to boost your mood and increase energy.*
USES OF MARJORAM:
Marjoram may be relaxing and calming to the muscles. Apply to muscles before and after exercising.*
- After-Sports Bath: Lavender 3 drops, Roman Chamomile 2, drops Marjoram 2 drops, Helichrysum 1 drop.
- Soothe Muscles:
- Option 1: Coconut oil 1 teaspoon, Marjoram 3 drops, Lavender 4 drops, Thyme 4 drops, Peppermint 4 drops; gently mix blend and apply to sore areas.
- Option 2: Coconut Oil 1 tablespoon, Marjoram 4 drops, Geranium 5 drops, Frankincense 3 drops, Clove 2 drops, Peppermint 4 drops.
- Post-Workout Rub: Coconut Oil 1 ounce, Marjoram Oil 3 drops, Thyme Oil 2 drops, Roman Chamomile 4 drops, Lemon oil 3 drops, Cypress oil 4 drops, Peppermint oil 2 drops. Mix gently and massage the mixture into your muscles and joints to prevent stiffness and enhance training.*
USES OF LEMONGRASS:
Combine with carrier oil and massage after a hard workout.
Massage blend for sore and tight muscles: Lemongrass 3 drops, Basil 4 drops, Clary Sage 5 drops, Fractionated Coconut Oil 8 drops, apply upward motion toward torso; Wait 10 minutes and then if need to reapply.*
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.